Recipe by Annacia
A colorful and satisfying stew is priceless this time of year (Jan), and you can't do much better than a tomatoey broth full of hearty cannellini beans, baby greens, and cubes of baked ham.
Top Review by Savvychef in the Rockies
Just back from trip home...more clothes, New Year's eve stuff... this week promises to be BUSY!! Board meeting, hairpainting with a favorite stylist who got engaged over the holiday!! Celebration time!! TIME for healthy soup- all ingredients but spinach are here!! Guests still out on slopes- way too cold for this lady!!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 3⁄4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 (19 ounce) cans cannellini beans, undrained
- 8 ounces cooked ham, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (5 ounce) bagbaby romaine lettuce or 1 (5 ounce) bag Baby Spinach
- 8 slices baguette (3/4-inch-thick)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook garlic in oil in a 3 1/2- to 4 1/2-quart heavy pot over moderately high heat, stirring, until golden, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Coarsely cut up tomatoes in can , then add (with juice) to garlic in oil.
- Stir in broth, beans, ham, and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes.
- Stir in greens and cook until wilted.
- While stew is simmering, preheat broiler. Put bread on a baking sheet and drizzle with remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil. Broil 3 to 4 inches from heat until golden, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes.
- Serve stew with toasts.