Recipe by internetnut
I have not tried this recipe. I got this recipe from Tops courtesy of National Pork Board.
- 3⁄4 lb bulk chorizo sausage
- 5 (10 inch) flour tortillas
- 16 ounces refried black beans
- 1⁄2 lb colby cheese, grated
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
- olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomatillo salsa (store bought)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Use a spatula to crumble the chorizo as you place it in the pan. Saute the chorizo until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove chorizo from the skillet to a plate.
- Arrange 5 tortillas on a work surface. Spread about 1/4 cup refried beans evenly over half of each tortilla, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Scatter about 1/3 cup cooked chorizo over beans. Scatter a generous 1/3 cup of cheese over top. Divide and arrange cilantro over top of cheese. Fold opposite half of tortilla over the filling. (The quesadillas can be assembled up to 1 hour before serving. Cover loosely with plastic wrap so they don't dry out, and set aside at room temperature.
- Prepare a medium fire in a charcoal grill or preheat a gas grill on medium. Brush outsides of tortillas with a small amount of oil. Using a wide spatula, transfer quesadillas to the grill. Grill on one side for about 1 minute, slide and turn quesadillas 90 degrees, grilling until nice cross-hatch grill marks appear. Slide spatula underneath to flip quesadillas and grill the second side. Transfer the quesadillas to a cutting board. Use a sharp knife or pizza cutter to cut the quesadillas into 5 wedges. Arrange on a platter and serve immediately accompanied with the tomatilla salsa.
- Cook's Note: Look for tomatillo salsa fresh in the refrigerator case or in jars on the shelf in well stocked supermarkets.