Recipe by Erv Kosch
I've made other barley soups and this what I threw together from best of those recipes.
Top Review by littlemafia
I'm not giving any stars coz the combination of mushroom and barley was just not for me. But that's my taste, others might like it. It might have worked better with some tomato paste and some lemon.
- 10 ounces mushrooms, fresh and diced, thin sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking barley
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan heat your oil over medium heat.
- Sauté your onion, carrot, and celery for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic/leek and mushrooms and sauté mixture for 5 more minutes.
- Mix the flour, parsley, salt, pepper together.
- Stir the dry mixture into the wet mixture and cook for 3 minutes.
- Whisk in the broths and bring to a fast boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add barley and cook for 10 minutes or until barely is tender.