Recipe by Bizzy-Bee
This is a yummy and meatless chili recipe that I found in a magazine years ago. I've tweaked it gradually to suit my taste. Optional condiments such as chopped cilantro, low-fat sour cream and chopped green onion make a nice addition.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups water, divided
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans or 1 (15 ounce) canother white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 3 minutes or until tender. Add 2 cups water, 1 cup wine and the next 8 ingredients (through cannellini beans), stirring to combine.
- Combine remaining cup of water and tomato paste in a bowl, stirring with a whisk until blended. Stir tomato paste mixture into beans. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Top each serving with shredded cheese and other condiments as desired.