Prep 3 mins
Cook 2 mins
This is something my sister came up with and its one of my favorite things to make when I need food NOW! Its mostly technique as you can really tailor the recipe ingredients to what you like.
- 1. Crack eggs into a cup and beat with a fork to incorporate - add a pinch of salt & pepper if you like.
- 2. Crush taco chips into a small glass (or microwave safe) bowl.
- 3. Dot chips with the salsa (enchilada sauce will work if you don’t have any salsa).
- 4. Pour beaten eggs over chips & salsa.
- 5. Sprinkle with cheese and microwave for 1.5 to 2 minutes on high. Let cool for 2 minutes and enjoy!
- 6. Other things that can be added under the egg layer are cooked peppers, cooked meat, beans, or cooked veggies. I have not tried it yet but you could probably substitute the taco chips for cooked rice or quinoa. My sister sometimes uses just a corn tortilla spread with enchilada sauce for the bottom layer.
This will be a handy recipe to have in a pinch, but we were all in agreement that the taco chips didn't belong. They were half soggy, half crunchy, and their corn flavor really didn't work with scrambled egg. We might make this again, but without the chips. We added some of what we had on hand; crumbled bacon, diced red onion, and some diced jalapenos. It was quick and easy to prepare, and would be great when only one of us is home to eat. Thanks for sharing your sister's creation, Merry Cook! Made for the Fall 2012 Pick-A-Chef event.