Recipe by ladypit
Have you ever had one of those nights when you realize you need bread to dunk into dinner, but you don't have time to let anything rise and biscuits just won't do? This is great. In less time then it takes my oven to preheat this is ready to go in the oven. The original recipe, from Sarah Schlesinger's 500 Fat Free Recipes, called for 2 cups whole wheat & 1 cup white. I happened to be running out of whole wheat and just subbed with what I had. Feel free to use more whole wheat, though. And I never have fat free buttermilk; I always use skim and lemon juice and it is just fine! This is a little dense but great to dunk into soups and stews.
Top Review by Anemone
This is a supper-saver! We enjoy this using only white flour and I've used blended cottage cheese in place of the buttermilk (1 1/2 cups, no vinegar or lemon juice). I make this often. Thanks!
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups fat-free buttermilk or 1 1⁄2 cups skim milk, with
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vinegar, added
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Mix the flours, baking powder, and baking soda together.
- Add the milk and stir just until combined.
- On a surface coated with a lot of flour (coat your hands too), knead the bread for 2 minutes.
- Put it on a cookie sheet sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Flatten to about a 7 inch round.
- Cut an X in the top with a knife.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until it sounds hollow when you tap the bottom.