Recipe by Manami
This serves 6 main dishes or 12 sides - from Newman's Own web site. Adjusted a few things in the recipe. When we made it - we used it as a side dish as we made it for a few residents at the Cafe Ponce. It was really very well received since they shun at the word VEGETABLE! These were private but I wanted to post them in honor of Paul Newman, to celebrate his wonderful soul & his dream. Posted October 1, 2008
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup grated romano cheese
- 1⁄2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (or more)
- 3 large eggs, beaten (or egg substitute, beaten)
- 1 (1 1/2 lb) eggplants
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, sliced into strips (or mixture of peppers equal to 2)
- 1⁄2 yellow bell pepper, sliced into strips (or mixture of peppers equal to 2)
- 1⁄2 green pepper, sliced into strips (or mixture of peppers equal to 2)
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups newman's own sockarooni pasta sauce or 2 cups bombolina pasta sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Coat bottom of a 17x11x1-inch baking pan with 1 tablespoons olive oil, and set aside.
- Mix flour, grated cheese, bread crumbs, parsley flakes, and red pepper flakes in bowl; set aside.
- Beat eggs in a bowl; set aside.
- Partially peel eggplant lengthwise (strips), and slice into ¼ inch slices.
- Dip each slice of eggplant in egg and coat with dry mixture.
- Place eggplant in baking pan.
- Overlap eggplant slightly, if necessary.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- While eggplant is baking, saute garlic in 3 tablespoons olive oil.
- When garlic is golden in color, add onion, peppers and mushrooms.
- Cook until peppers are soft.(about 5-7 minutes.).
- Remove eggplant from oven and turn each slice over.
- Drizzle remaining oil over eggplant.
- Spread Newman's Own Sockarooni Pasta Sauce or Bombolina Pasta Sauce over each slice of eggplant.
- Sprinkle onion, pepper and mushroom mixture over eggplant.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve with additional grated Romano cheese.