Recipe by ChefWhiz
This is great for dinner-in-a-hurry, using convenience foods. Lower sodium by using low sodium canned black beans or Nature's Promise; low sodium chicken broth; and real sherry instead of cooking sherry loaded with salt. Lower saturated fat by using turkey ham and reduced fat sour cream.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, with their liquid
- 1 cup canned low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1 bay leaf
- black pepper
- 3 tablespoons sherry wine, golden
- 1 cup real ham or 1 cup turkey ham, medium cubed
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
Directions See How It's Made
- Put beans in a 2 quart saucepan with or without their liquid and add Chicken broth, onion, and bay leaf; then season to taste with black pepper.
- Cover the pan; bring mixture to boil;reduce heat to medium-low; and let soup simmer 5-7 minutes so flavors blend.
- Remove pan from heat; discard bay leaf; stir in 2 tablespoons of sherry; taste and add 1 more tablespoon of sherry if desired.
- Coarsely puree soup in a food processor or by batches in a blender. You will still have some visible bits and pieces of onions and beans.
- Return soup to saucepan, stir in ham, cover, and re-heat over low-medium heat.
- In a small bowl combine sour cream and lemon zest.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top each serving with a dollop of the sour cream-lemon zest mixture.