Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe is fast & easy, and adaptable. You can use fresh tomatoes if you like, and fool with the vegetables. If you want a lighter version, say, for summer consumption, you could omit the tomato juice and opt for an extra cup of broth. Conversely, if you want a thicker broth for a nice wintery dinner, you could use 2 cups of tomato juice and one cup broth. Serve with nice big green salad & crusty bread. See? Easy.
- 1 onion
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 (19 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 package frozen vegetables
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup dry pasta (macaroni or rotini)
- 1 can beans (navy are nice, as are chick peas)
- Saute onion& garlic in oil till onions are sweet& clear.
- Add tomatoes, juice, broth, vegetables, sugar, basil, oregano& pepper.
- Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Add pasta, turn heat to med-low& simmer, covered for 15-20 minutes.
- Add beans& warm through.