Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
My father made this recipe for me years ago and I absolutely loved it! I make it for my children and my younger siblings and they all love it too. This macaroni salad goes great with just about any type of meat whether it's grilled, baked, or fried. Also, makes a great snack when you have leftovers and don't feel like fixing anything.
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 4 -5 tablespoons dill pickles, minced
- 2 -3 tablespoons black olives, minced
- 2 -3 tablespoons green onions, chopped (to taste)
- 1 cup Hellmann's mayonnaise (add more to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon yellow mustard (optional)
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- 1 -2 lb shredded cheddar cheese (to taste)
- Boil noodles like you normally would do. Until done. Drain the noodles. Put them in a large bowl and put in the fridge to cool. (Faster prep: Run them under cold water until cool then let sit so all of the water will drain).
- Mince pickles and black olives. (Faster & easier prep: Buy dill pickle relish and already chopped black olives).
- Chop green onions.
- After noodles are cool add mayonnaise (more or less to taste) & mustard (optional) and mix together.
- Add pickle, olives, & green onions and mix. (Can use more or less. I personally like a lot of pickles and little onion & olives).
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Put in the fridge to chill. (Sometimes you may need to add more mayo when ready to serve).
- Add the cheese when you are serving. (I let everybody add as much as they want. Makes it fun for the kids).
I was in a pinch without many ingredients on hand but needed to make a starch side dish for a picnic. I was hesitant as I threw this together, but I quickly became happy that I found this recipe. It was delicious and easy! I used about 4 oz of cheese and mixed it in early - other than that followed directions exactly. Thanks tifmason for posting!