Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Brilliant side for soups or salads.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 450 g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda, level
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 pint buttermilk
- 85 g cheddar cheese, grated
- Heat oven to 230c/ fan 210c/ gas8. Brush a baking tray with olive oil. Tip the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a large bowl and mix with your hands.
- Make a well in the centre and pour the buttermilk. With one hand stiff and fingers like a claw, start mixing in a full circle to incorporate the buttermilk, until you have a soft, slightly sticky dough, adding more butter milk if needed.
- Transfer to the oiled tray and roll out till 35cmx 20cm. Brush the top with more oil and sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 20-25 mins depending on thickness, turning don to 210c/fan 190c/gas4 after the first 10 minutes.
- When cooked it should be firm in the middle and golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack, to cool for a few minutes then cut into squares.
Made for Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup Tag Game. Made this for my family (I didn't eat it because of a wheat allergy and it couldn't easily be converted to gluten free without a lot of tries due to the large amount of flour) and they really enjoyed it. Thanks for posting this Pink Penquin.