Recipe by Pink Penguin
Brilliant side for soups or salads.
Top Review by LARavenscroft
Made for Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup Tag Game. Made this for my family (I didn't eat it because of a wheat allergy and it couldn't easily be converted to gluten free without a lot of tries due to the large amount of flour) and they really enjoyed it. Thanks for posting this Pink Penquin.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 450 g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda, level
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 pint buttermilk
- 85 g cheddar cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 230c/ fan 210c/ gas8. Brush a baking tray with olive oil. Tip the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a large bowl and mix with your hands.
- Make a well in the centre and pour the buttermilk. With one hand stiff and fingers like a claw, start mixing in a full circle to incorporate the buttermilk, until you have a soft, slightly sticky dough, adding more butter milk if needed.
- Transfer to the oiled tray and roll out till 35cmx 20cm. Brush the top with more oil and sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 20-25 mins depending on thickness, turning don to 210c/fan 190c/gas4 after the first 10 minutes.
- When cooked it should be firm in the middle and golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack, to cool for a few minutes then cut into squares.