Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Wuick and easy--a favorite with kids.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 450 g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 300 -400 ml buttermilk
- 85 g cheddar cheese, grated
- Heat oven to 230°C and grease a baking tray with the olive oil.
- Place the flour and the bicarb in a bowl, add the salt and mix with hands.
- Make a well and pour in the buttermilk and pour in 300ml of the buttermilk. mix in with hands until you have a soft sticky dough adding more buttermilk if needed.
- Transfer to the tray and either roll out or press down with fingers to form a loaf about 30 x 20cm. Brush top with a little oil if desired and sprinkle on the cheese.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes turning the oven down to 200°C after 10 minutes. It should be firm in the centre and golden when cooked.
- Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool, works very well with potato soup.
Tasty and very easy to make. I was able to whip this loaf up while the rest of dinner was cooking. The whole family enjoyed it.