This is a treat I whip up every once in a while when we're in the mood for pizza and have leftovers to use up. Pizza is generally a bad deal nutritionally, but by making the crust from whole grain and emphasizing low-fat meats, lots of veggies and going light on the cheese, the nutritional rating goes up quite a bit. This is really a crust recipe. Toppings are merely suggestions and can be adjusted in any direction. This is a great recipe to use up leftovers and vegetables that you only have a small bit of.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup white flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk (approximately)
- 2 tablespoons assorted dried herbs (sage and Mexican oregano are particularly good) (optional)
- 2 -3 ounces shredded cheese (optional)
- chopped sun-dried tomato (optional)
- olive (optional)
- 1For the Crust:.
- 2Put baking stone or baking sheet in oven and preheat to 400°F.
- 3Mix all dry ingredients, including any herbs, in food processor.
- 4Cut in butter until in large pea-sized hunks.
- 5If you are adding cheese, tomatoes or olives, do so now.
- 6With mixer running, drizzle milk into flour just until it forms a solid ball of dough.
- 7Turn dough onto a surface floured with whole wheat and knead a few turns until smooth.
- 8Roll or press dough into desired shape.
- 9Remove baking sheet or stone from oven and sprinkle with cornmeal. Transfer dough to hot pizza stone or baking sheet and pre-bake for 3-5 minutes.
- 10*If you do not have a food processor, cut the butter into the dry ingredients with two knives or your fingers until mixture is like coarse meal.
- 11Stir in milk and mix with a fork just until it holds together.
- 12Knead briefly to smooth and roll or pat out.
- 13For finished pizza:.
- 14Drop pesto in spoonfuls over crust and spread evenly.
- 15Top with meat and veggies, then scatter cheese evenly.
- 16Bake for 10-15 minutes, enough to melt and brown cheese.
- 17Other suggested topping combinations:.
- 18marinara sauce, Italian turkey sausage, yellow and green summer squash, tomatoes.
- 20pesto, chicken, eggplant, green onions, olives.
- 22a little curry paste blended into plain yogurt, chicken, summer squash, yellow corn kernels, peas, tomatoes, (after pizza is cooked, top with chutney and cilantro instead of parmesan!).
- 24salsa, chicken, peppers, black beans, corn, tomatoes, cheddar and jack cheese.
- 25The possibilities are limited only by your imagination!
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fast and Healthy Pizza Crust With Chicken and Veggies
Serving Size: 1 (188 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 619.0
- Calories from Fat 251
- Total Fat 27.9 g
- Saturated Fat 14.6 g
- Cholesterol 94.3 mg
- Sodium 936.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.9 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 31.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
roasted sweet peppers