This is a treat I whip up every once in a while when we're in the mood for pizza and have leftovers to use up. Pizza is generally a bad deal nutritionally, but by making the crust from whole grain and emphasizing low-fat meats, lots of veggies and going light on the cheese, the nutritional rating goes up quite a bit. This is really a crust recipe. Toppings are merely suggestions and can be adjusted in any direction. This is a great recipe to use up leftovers and vegetables that you only have a small bit of.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup white flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk (approximately)
- 2 tablespoons assorted dried herbs (sage and Mexican oregano are particularly good) (optional)
- 2 -3 ounces shredded cheese (optional)
- chopped sun-dried tomato (optional)
- olive (optional)
- 1For the Crust:.
- 2Put baking stone or baking sheet in oven and preheat to 400°F.
- 3Mix all dry ingredients, including any herbs, in food processor.
- 4Cut in butter until in large pea-sized hunks.
- 5If you are adding cheese, tomatoes or olives, do so now.
- 6With mixer running, drizzle milk into flour just until it forms a solid ball of dough.
- 7Turn dough onto a surface floured with whole wheat and knead a few turns until smooth.
- 8Roll or press dough into desired shape.
- 9Remove baking sheet or stone from oven and sprinkle with cornmeal. Transfer dough to hot pizza stone or baking sheet and pre-bake for 3-5 minutes.
- 10*If you do not have a food processor, cut the butter into the dry ingredients with two knives or your fingers until mixture is like coarse meal.
- 11Stir in milk and mix with a fork just until it holds together.
- 12Knead briefly to smooth and roll or pat out.
- 13For finished pizza:.
- 14Drop pesto in spoonfuls over crust and spread evenly.
- 15Top with meat and veggies, then scatter cheese evenly.
- 16Bake for 10-15 minutes, enough to melt and brown cheese.
- 17Other suggested topping combinations:.
- 18marinara sauce, Italian turkey sausage, yellow and green summer squash, tomatoes.
- 20pesto, chicken, eggplant, green onions, olives.
- 22a little curry paste blended into plain yogurt, chicken, summer squash, yellow corn kernels, peas, tomatoes, (after pizza is cooked, top with chutney and cilantro instead of parmesan!).
- 24salsa, chicken, peppers, black beans, corn, tomatoes, cheddar and jack cheese.
- 25The possibilities are limited only by your imagination!
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fast and Healthy Pizza Crust With Chicken and Veggies
Serving Size: 1 (188 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 619.0
- Calories from Fat 251
- Total Fat 27.9 g
- Saturated Fat 14.6 g
- Cholesterol 94.3 mg
- Sodium 936.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.9 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 31.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
roasted sweet peppers