Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe is so simple I cannot believe it! Great for Christmas gifts or any occasion! Great rainy day activity too! Try peppermint extract and chips for Christmas! Top with candy corn for Halloween! Top with anything you like and vary it to whatever holiday is near! Great use for those sprinkles I always seem to have a ton of after a holiday! Enjoy
- 40 saltine crackers (NOT use unsalted)
- 1 cup unsalted butter (Real butter only)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 11 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup pretzel, broken into small pieces (optional)
- 1 cup nuts, any kind (optional)
- 2 cups white chocolate chips (or any flavor) (optional)
- 1 cup coconut, plain (optional) or 1 cup sweetened coconut (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cover cookie sheet with a single layer of aluminum foil. Cover foil with some cooking spray. Add saltines in one even layer.
- Bring real butter, brown sugar, and extract to a boil and cook until sugar is melted and mixture thickens and starts to look like caramel. Pour evenly over saltines and spread to cover every cracker. Place in middle of preheated oven.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes or until toffee becomes bubbly all over even in the center of the pan. Remove from oven. Immediately pour chocolate chips evenly on top of candy and let melt. After about 3 minutes the chocolate should be melted enough to spread gently over the entire toffee surface. Now add any topping you wish! I like to gently press them into chocolate so they do not fall off when eating them! Usually just take another piece of sprayed foil and cover entire surface then gently pat it all down and remove foil. Do not push too hard or foil will stick.
- Let cool for a few minutes then place in fridge or freezer until hard. Break into pieces and and enjoy!