Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Easy sauce for vegetables, chicken, or fish. I originally developed this recipe as a topping for fresh steamed broccoli but found it works well with a variety of foods. I get the tangerine juice from Walmart but other large grocery stores and natural food markets should carry it. For a slightly different flavor try mandarin orange juice.
- Put 1 cup of tangerine juice in sauce pan along with lemon juice, butter, and salt.
- Put pan on low heat.
- You want to heat up the mixture without boiling it.
- The butter should be completely melted and sauce steaming.
- While the main ingredients are heating up, mix the remaining 1/2 cup of tangerine juice with the corn starch and mix until smooth.
- Once the sauce is steaming slowly whisk the corn starch mixture into the pan.
- Keep whisking until sauce thickens.
- Once sauce has thickened, remove from heat and serve over you favorite steamed vegetables (it is excellent over broccoli), fish, or chicken.
I thoroughly enjoyed this on steamed broccoli. The zesty citrus flavor went perfectly on the broccoli. I'm definitely going to try it on chicken.
Our family did not enjoy this. Contrary to the other reviewer, we did not like the zingy flavor it added to broccoli. I have a similar orange sauce recipe for beets or carrots, but it offers a subtle, sweet flavor instead with the addition of just a little sugar. We'll stick to that recipe.