Recipe by joannarose
A wonderful recipe adapted from Glamour magazine's "How to anything better guide" in the April 2005 issue. A gorgeous one-dish dinner!
- 4 cups shrimp stock (*) or 4 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron (optional)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups Spanish rice (or other short grain rice)
- 2 cups raw peeled shrimp, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- minced fresh parsley (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Warm the stock in a saucepan along with saffron.
- In a large ovenproof skillet, add olive oil over medium heat.
- A minute later add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is translucent and soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add paprika and cumin and cook 1 minute more.
- Add rice and cook, stirring occasionally, until glossy, 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the shrimp and season with salt.
- Add the warm stock and transfer skillet to oven, baking 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is dry on top.
- Garnish with parsley, serve immediately.
- *For shrimp stock, boil the shells from the shrimp in 4 cups water, then remove and steep until ready to use, or until water cools.
- Strain and use.