Prep 30 mins
Cook 24 mins
America's Test Kitchen
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can dark red kidney beans, rinsed
- 2 -3 teaspoons minced chipotle chiles in adobo
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef (85% )
- Pulse tomatoes and their juice in a food processor until slightly chunky, about 5 pulses.
- In a large saucepan, bring tomatoes, beans, chipotle, sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil, covered.
- Decrease to a simmer and continue to cook.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering.
- Add in onion, chili powder, cumin, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Increase heat to med-high and add beef.
- Cook, breaking up beef with spoon, until no longer pink, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato-bean mixture, scraping up any browned bits.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper before serving.