1 hr 30 mins
This is served with medium-grain rice. This, as most Palestinian dishes, can be made with either lamb or chicken. The chicken version is as per the lamb version except the following: Once the onion is lightly browned, add chicken and brown. Add water and follow usual directions. When the chicken is cooked, remove chicken and set aside. Before serving, sprinkle chicken with salt, baharat/curry powder and olive oil (optional) and brown under grill. Serve on top of rice with small bowls of soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 400 g lamb, pieces (boned or boneless)
- 1 onion
- cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon baharat or 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white beans (there are three types of white beans. large white beans, small white beans and black-eyed beans – al)
- 7 medium tomatoes
- tomato paste (about 2 – 3 teaspoons)
- 1/2 clove garlic
- fresh parsley or coriander (to garnish)
- 1Make a stock in a medium-sized pot by frying the onion until golden then adding water to fill 3/4 of the pot.
- 2Add meat (can be frozen), baharat and salt.
- 3Cook until meat is ready (about 3/4hr).
- 4While the stock is cooking, cook the white beans.
- 5Place in small pot with a lot of water.
- 6Bring to the boil.
- 7When the water boils, turn off heat and leave for 1/2 hr.
- 8Heat again and cook until ready.
- 9Once the meat is ready, strain stock and then strain stock into medium pot, until it reaches about 1/4 of the pot.
- 10Add meat and beans.
- 11Put at medium heat.
- 12Puree tomatoes with a small amount of water.
- 13When the meat stock has reached boiling point, strain tomato puree into pot using a colander.
- 14(Swish with your hands to make it much quicker!).
- 15Ratio of tomatoes to stock should be about 3:2.
- 16Add tomato paste to taste and to achieve a nice red colour.
- 17Keep at a light boil.
- 18Dice garlic and finely chop parsley/coriander.
- 19Fry garlic in a small amount of oil until golden and then add parsley/coriander and fry for a few seconds.
- 20Add to soup.
- 21Cook soup at a light boil for a further 10 minutes.
- 22Serve in small bowls alongside rice.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fassuliyyeh Baidah (white Bean Soup)
Serving Size: 1 (457 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 403.9
- Calories from Fat 171
- Total Fat 19.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.7 g
- Cholesterol 97.9 mg
- Sodium 669.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 32.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: