1/3 Photos of Fassuliah K'dra -- Beans With Saffron (Morocco - North Africa)
1 hr 10 mins
1 hr 5 mins
Sydney Mike's Note:
This recipe was found in the 2002 cookbook, Mediterranean Street Food. Preparation time does not include the time for the beans to soak.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups dried cannellini beans (soaked overnight in plenty of water with 1/2 teaspoon baking soda)
- 1 pinch saffron thread (a generous pinch, crushed)
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 medium onions, thinly slices
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1Drain the beans & rinse well, then place them in a large saucepan.
- 2Add the 1 generous pinch of saffron threads (crushed) & 1 1/2 quarts water, then bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- 3Add butter, then reduce heat to low & simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- 4Stir in the onions, parsley & pepper & cook for another 30 minutes or until beans are tender. Stir occasionally to make sure beans are not sticking.
- 5Just before beans are ready, add salt to taste.
- 6If sauce is too thick, add a little water, but if it's too thin, increase the heat to high & boil until thickened, stirring regularly so that the beans don't stick.
- 7Taste & adjust the seasoning, if necessary.
- 8Serve hot, warm or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fassuliah K'dra -- Beans With Saffron (Morocco - North Africa)
Serving Size: 1 (146 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 365.3
- Calories from Fat 92
- Total Fat 10.3 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 25.4 mg
- Sodium 71.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 20.0 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 18.8 g