Recipe by Sydney Mike
This recipe was found in the 2002 cookbook, Mediterranean Street Food. Preparation time does not include the time for the beans to soak.
Top Review by Nasseh
I used canned cannellini beans & olive oil in place of the butter. I also sauteed the onions before adding the rest of the ingredients. Then I sprinkled in some cumin for some extra flavor. Both DH & DS loved it. Made for ZWT6 - No-Nonsense Nibblers
- 2 1⁄2 cups dried cannellini beans (soaked overnight in plenty of water with 1/2 teaspoon baking soda)
- 1 pinch saffron thread (a generous pinch, crushed)
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 medium onions, thinly slices
- 1⁄4 cup flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain the beans & rinse well, then place them in a large saucepan.
- Add the 1 generous pinch of saffron threads (crushed) & 1 1/2 quarts water, then bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Add butter, then reduce heat to low & simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the onions, parsley & pepper & cook for another 30 minutes or until beans are tender. Stir occasionally to make sure beans are not sticking.
- Just before beans are ready, add salt to taste.
- If sauce is too thick, add a little water, but if it's too thin, increase the heat to high & boil until thickened, stirring regularly so that the beans don't stick.
- Taste & adjust the seasoning, if necessary.
- Serve hot, warm or at room temperature.