Recipe by Dreamer in Ontario
This classic Greek vegetarian soup is simple to make. Serve it with lots of fresh crusty bread. From Modern Greek.
Top Review by Charlotte J
The dried beans were ready to cook last night, but I was not. I drained them and placed into an air tight container. This afternoon I finished assembling the soup. It went together very fast. I think I'd like to add the parsley the last 10 minutes of cooking. Thank you for posting. Made for team Soup-A-Stars during ZWT9 2013
- 453.59 g dried white bean, soaked overnight
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled & roughly chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled & sliced
- 3 stalk celery, strings removed & sliced
- 3 red ripe tomatoes, peeled seeded & roughly chopped or 425.24 g canpeeled tomatoes
- 29.58 ml tomato paste
- 73.94 ml olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 handful fresh flat-leaf parsley
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain beans and place in large saucepan.
- Cover with cold water and bring to a boil, skimming off any froth with a slotted spoon.
- Add all other ingredients except salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until tender.
- Allow to cool slightly.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.