Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a recipe for delicious green beans & tomato, cooked the traditional Greek way. Fresh green beans, tomatoes, herbs and spices are simmered together long enough for the tastes to meld. Recipe by Nancy Gaifyllia, she says "This Theban version of a classic Greek recipe is deceptively simple to fix, combining fresh green beans with onions, tomatoes, garlic, and parsley, and delivers a sophisticated taste. It can be served as a main dish, or as a side. " Posted for ZWT 4.
- 2 lbs fresh green beans or 2 lbs other long string beans
- 2 cups tomatoes, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup water
- sea salt
- fresh ground pepper
- Wash the beans, cut off the tips and remove the stringy piece of fiber along the seam. Rinse the beans.
- In a soup pot, sauté the onions in olive oil with a wooden spoon until they turn translucent.
- Stir in the garlic and sauté a few minutes more. Add all the remaining ingredients and the water. Stir well, reduce heat, and simmer covered for 50 minutes or until the beans are tender. (Add more water if needed during cooking - boiling water.).
- Serve warm. On the side, consider tzatziki or feta cheese, and certainly some great country bread.
- Note: This serves 4 as a main dish, 6-8 as a side. For a more substantial dish, add 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks.
I made these beans after finding beautiful Italian flat beans at our local farmers' market this weekend. They were delicious with Greek Potatoes (Recipe #87782), steaks, and salad. The recipe is easy and it's nice to try other ways to serve green beans (as Southerners, we tend to usually boil them with ham -good but boring). I did add some fresh Greek oregano from my herb garden as well as the parsley.
I found these to make a pleasant vegetable to accompany more strongly flavored Greek foods for a themed meal; but I would probably not fix them for a regular family dinner.
These had a great taste, I liked the combination of green beans, onions, peppers and tomatoes. The only change I made was I used only a little of the oil and that was to sautee the onions and garlic. Will make again. Made for ZWT4.