Recipe by Transylmania
This is super food for the winter. Very comforting and filling. For a healthier version use the vegetable oil instead of the bacon.
Top Review by German Saxon
My parents moved from Transylvania to Austria and then here. This was one of my favorite meals, along with the polenta and cheese. I wouldn't change a thing with this recipe!
- 1 lb dried great northern beans, soaked overnight
- 1 onion, scored
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 parsnip, peeled and chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 lb bacon, finely chopped
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 -3 teaspoons paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain the beans and put them in a large pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to a simmer, cover beans, and cook for about 45 minutes.
- Add carrots, onion, and parsnip. Cover again and cook for another 45 minutes.
- Drain beans and vegetables and mash all together. This can also be done in a meat grinder or a food processor.
- Add salt and plenty of black pepper.
- For the moare (a sauce).
- In a heavy skillet cook the bacon over medium high heat, or until the fat cooks out a bit.
- Add the onions and saute together over medium heat for 10 minutes, or until the onions begin to brown.
- Add paprika and cook for about 1 more minute.
- Serve this over each serving of beans.