Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
If you like garlic then you will probably love this chicken! This is a really simple way to cook chicken but it's really flavoursome & the chicken is moist & tender. You can use any pieces of chicken for this recipe in place of the whole chicken. In summer this is great on the BBQ. 'Farrouj' means male chicken in Arabic - they are said to be tastier than the hens but you can use any chocken with great results! Time to make doesn't include the 3 hours in the fridge.
- 1 (3 lb) broiler-fryer chickens
- 6 -8 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sumac
- Grind garlic & salt to a paste in mortar or small food processor. Work olive oil, sumac & lemon to create creamy consistency - similar to mayo.
- Cut chicken into 6 to 8 pieces. Make plenty of deep cuts - right down to the bone.
- Place the chicken pieces & garlic sauce in a large ziploc bag. Close the bag massage the chicken for a few minutes before placing in the fridge for at least 3 hours - I like to marinate it for about 6 hours.
- Grill the chicken pieces over a medium heat until the juices run totally clear, 12 - 15 minutes per side. I often grill it on my griddle / grill pan then transfer to the oven on 200 C for 15 minutes.
Delicious! I did increase the amount of salt and sumac to 2 tsp each. The more garlic the better. Oh, and marinating over night is highly recommended.
Fabulous chicken!! I used thigh fillets flattened out a bit. The normally picky kids loved it, and so did my hubby. We are having this again tonight in wraps. (I did 8 thigh fillets and froze 4 for today!)