1/1 Photo of Farro Salad With Tomatoes and Herbs - Giada De Laurentiis
Featured on Giada De Laurentiis' FoodTV show, "Everyday Italian." Farro is similar to wheat berries.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups water
- 10 ounces cracked farro (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 lb fresh tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh chives
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt, to taste
- 1In a medium saucepan, combine the water, farro, and salt, then turn heat to high and bring it all to a boil.
- 2When it has come to a boil, reduce the temperature to medium low, cover, and let simmer until the farro is tender, about 30 minutes.
- 3Remove from heat, drain mixture well, then pour it all into a large ceramic or porcelain bowl and set aside to let cool.
- 4When cooled, add the chopped tomatoes, onion, chives, and parsley, tossing to combine.
- 5In a separate bowl, combine the garlic, vinegar, pepper, and olive oil, and whisk well until incorporated to make the dressing.
- 6Combine the dressing with the farro mixture, tossing it to coat well; season to taste with salt.
- 7Note: this salad can be made the day before and stored in the refrigerator- Giada suggests serving it at room temperature, so just make sure to take it out of the fridge an hour before serving, or taste it cold to see if you like it that way, too; also, a few sliced black and/or green olives can be a nice addition.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Farro Salad With Tomatoes and Herbs - Giada De Laurentiis
Serving Size: 1 (264 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 103.7
- Calories from Fat 82
- Total Fat 9.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 787.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 0.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: