1/2 Photos of Farro Risotto With Butternut Squash
Farro's a wheat and when coooked it is chewy. It's butternut time! Ready to be picked from the garden as is the saffron so the two in this dish is fresh as can be! You can keep this vegetarian add some tofu or add fresh caught shrimp or fish like cod the last 5 minutes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup diced butternut squash
- 6 cups vegetable stock (Vegetable Stock) or 6 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade (Giblet Stock from Turkey or Chicken or ?? for Soup or Gravy) or 6 cups water
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup minced red onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or 4 roasted garlic cloves
- 3 fresh sage leaves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups cracked farro (10 ounces)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 pinch saffron thread (generous pinch)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1Heat the stock in a small covered saucepan. Leave it on low heat to simmer.
- 2In a heavy-bottomed pot, melt the butter and saute the onion, and butternut on medium-low heat for 5 minutes then add garlic and sage for 1 minute. Add the farro and stir to coat the grains with butter. Add the wine and cook for 2 minutes. Add 2 full ladles of stock to the farro plus the saffron, and pepper. Stir, and simmer until the stock is absorbed, 5 to 10 minutes. Continue to add the stock, 2 ladles at a time, stirring every few minutes. Each time, cook until the mixture seems a little dry, then add more stock. Continue until the farro is cooked through, but still al dente, about 30-45 minutes total.
- 3Off the heat, stir in the Parmesan cheese. Taste and season with salt. You can add more butter at this time if desired.
- 4Mix well, garnish with fresh sage and serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Farro Risotto With Butternut Squash
Serving Size: 1 (78 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 209.5
- Calories from Fat 116
- Total Fat 12.9 g
- Saturated Fat 7.9 g
- Cholesterol 37.2 mg
- Sodium 387.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 10.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh sage leaves