Farro Pilaf With Balsamic Cherries
- Pit the cherries and cut in half.
- Heat a medium or large heavy skillet over medium-high heat and add the butter. When the foam subsides, add the cherries and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and stir until it evaporates, which should take no more than 1 minute.
- Transfer the cherries immediately to a bowl so that they don’t overcook or overcaramelize. Set aside.
- To cook the farro, place in a bowl or saucepan and cover with boiling water. Let sit for 1 hour, then drain.
- Return to the pot and add 1 quart water and salt to taste. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 40 to 45 minutes, until the wheat berries have begun to splay. Drain through a strainer and return the farro to the pot.
- Place a towel across the top of the saucepan and return the lid. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Uncover the farro and stir in the thyme, butter and cherries. Add pepper to taste, and serve.