Recipe by zeldaz51
Adapted from a Melissa Clark recipe published in the NY Times on December 17, 2013. Don't cut back on the salt in the cooking liquid, it's really necessary!
- 1 cup uncooked whole farro
- 1 cup apple juice
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, more as needed
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 1⁄2 ounces pistachio nuts, chopped
- 3 cups torn herbs, leaves (parsley, basil leaves, and mint)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes or 1 cup grape tomatoes, both red and yellow if available, halved
- 6 radishes, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan, bring farro, apple juice, water, salt, bay leaves to a simmer. Simmer, stirring occasionally and adding extra liquid if needed, until farro is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 30-35 minutes. Remove from heat, cool, then discard bay leaves.
- In a salad bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice and a pinch of salt. Add farro, pistachios and mix well. This mixture will keep for up to 4 hours at room temperature or overnight in the refrigerator (bring to room temperature before serving). Just before serving, fold in herbs, tomatoes, radish slices and taste to adjust seasoning.