1/1 Photo of Farmhouse Vegetable Soup
Charlotte J's Note:
Vegetable soup is a staple of Irish home kitchens and pubs. At the Derg Inn, an acclaimed pub in the historic village of Terryglass, in County Tipperary, the chef uses as much Tipperary-grown produce as possible. Even the butter is produced by a local cooperative in nearby Nenagh. From 'The Irish Pub Cookbook' by Margaret M. Johnson I found the Kerrygold Irish butter at Costco. Here is their Vegetable Stock recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons unsalted kerrygold irish butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 leeks, washed and sliced (white part only)
- 2 parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 cups homemade vegetable stock or 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2/3 cup half-and-half
- 3 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, minced
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1In a stockpot over medium heat, melt the butter.
- 2Add the onion and leeks, cover, and cook, stirring once or twice, for 5-7 minutes, or until vegetables are soft but not browned.
- 3Add the parsnips, potatoes, carrots and Vegetable Stock or broth, cover and cook for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- 4Remove from the heat and let cool for 10 minutes.
- 5Working in batches, transfer the soup to a food processor or blender and puree until smooth.
- 6Your immersion blender can also be used.
- 7Return soup to the pot, whisk in the half and half, and season with the parsley, salt and pepper.
- 8Simmer until heated through.
- 9Ladle the soup into swallow bowls and enjoy.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Farmhouse Vegetable Soup
Serving Size: 1 (237 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 321.4
- Calories from Fat 149
- Total Fat 16.6 g
- Saturated Fat 10.2 g
- Cholesterol 45.4 mg
- Sodium 161.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
- Sugars 7.2 g
- Protein 5.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: