Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A hearty winter soup, that can be varied easily to use what you have.
Make and share this Farmhouse Soup recipe from Food.com.
- Dice the carrots, and turnips and white portion of the leeks.
- Melt butter in a large pan. Put in the carrots, turnips, leeks and soften on low heat for 10minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Wash the bacon in cold water and put in a saucepan of water, bring to the boil and simmer for 10minutes on low heat, drain and set aside to cool.
- Finely shred the cabbage, and chop the bacon into cubes.
- Add stock and bacon and cabbage to the vegetables, salt and pepper to taste. Bring to the boil, reduce heat. Cover and simmer gently for about 1hour.
- Cap and string the beans, wash and cut into pieces about 4cm long. Chop the celery and cube the potatoes.
- About 20minutes before end of cooking time, add cubed potatoes and peas to soup and cook further until tender.
- Serve with croûtons (optional) and grated Gruyère Cheese.