2 hrs 10 mins
A hearty winter soup, that can be varied easily to use what you have.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Dice the carrots, and turnips and white portion of the leeks.
- 2Melt butter in a large pan. Put in the carrots, turnips, leeks and soften on low heat for 10minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3Wash the bacon in cold water and put in a saucepan of water, bring to the boil and simmer for 10minutes on low heat, drain and set aside to cool.
- 4Finely shred the cabbage, and chop the bacon into cubes.
- 5Add stock and bacon and cabbage to the vegetables, salt and pepper to taste. Bring to the boil, reduce heat. Cover and simmer gently for about 1hour.
- 6Cap and string the beans, wash and cut into pieces about 4cm long. Chop the celery and cube the potatoes.
- 7About 20minutes before end of cooking time, add cubed potatoes and peas to soup and cook further until tender.
- 8Serve with croûtons (optional) and grated Gruyère Cheese.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Farmhouse Soup
Serving Size: 1 (473 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 318.8
- Calories from Fat 105
- Total Fat 11.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 30.6 mg
- Sodium 468.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.8 g
- Sugars 10.1 g
- Protein 14.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: