1 hr 15 mins
This soup freezes well. time does not inclued 1 hour soaking of the chickpeas and chilling time to skim the fat.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 0.44 lb dried garbanzo beans
- 4 liters water
- 0.88 lb veal, osso bucco
- 1 onion, halved, thickly sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 3 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1 large carrot, peeled, thickly sliced
- 1 large potato, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 parsnip, peeled, thickly sliced
- 1 leek, pale section only, halved, washed, dried, thickly sliced
- 1 (1.76 lb) can diced tomatoes
- 0.22 lb long grain brown rice (1/2 cup)
- 0.28 lb tomato paste
- 0.66 lb broccoli florets
- 0.44 lb sliced green beans
- 1Place the chickpeas and half the water in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to the boil. Cook, covered, for 1 minute. Set aside for 1 hr to soak.
- 2Drain chickpeas. Return to pan with the remaining water. Bring to the boil over medium-high heat. Add veal, onion, rosemary, bay leaves and parsley, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, for 1 1/2 hours Discard rosemary bay leaves and parsley. Set aside to cool completely. Place in the fridge to chill.
- 3Remove fat from the surface. Transfer the veal to a plate. Discard bones. Coarsely shred.
- 4Add carrot, potato, parsnip, leek, tomato, rice and tomato paste to the pan.
- 5Bring to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, for 30-40 minutes or until rice is tender.
- 6Add the veal, broccoli and beans and cook for 5 minutes or until the beans are bright green and tender crisp.
- 7Ladle among the serving bowls and serve.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Farmhouse Soup
Serving Size: 1 (1170 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 530.4
- Calories from Fat 100
- Total Fat 11.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 62.1 mg
- Sodium 301.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 87.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 20.7 g
- Sugars 13.2 g
- Protein 30.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: