Recipe by Sonya01
This soup freezes well. time does not inclued 1 hour soaking of the chickpeas and chilling time to skim the fat.
- 200 g dried garbanzo beans
- 4 liters water
- 400 g veal, osso bucco
- 1 onion, halved, thickly sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 3 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1 large carrot, peeled, thickly sliced
- 1 large potato, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 parsnip, peeled, thickly sliced
- 1 leek, pale section only, halved, washed, dried, thickly sliced
- 1 (800 g) can diced tomatoes
- 100 g long grain brown rice (1/2 cup)
- 125 g tomato paste
- 300 g broccoli florets
- 200 g sliced green beans
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the chickpeas and half the water in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to the boil. Cook, covered, for 1 minute. Set aside for 1 hr to soak.
- Drain chickpeas. Return to pan with the remaining water. Bring to the boil over medium-high heat. Add veal, onion, rosemary, bay leaves and parsley, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, for 1 1/2 hours Discard rosemary bay leaves and parsley. Set aside to cool completely. Place in the fridge to chill.
- Remove fat from the surface. Transfer the veal to a plate. Discard bones. Coarsely shred.
- Add carrot, potato, parsnip, leek, tomato, rice and tomato paste to the pan.
- Bring to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, for 30-40 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Add the veal, broccoli and beans and cook for 5 minutes or until the beans are bright green and tender crisp.
- Ladle among the serving bowls and serve.