Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
This layered and steamed meat pudding is also known as Wellingborough Hough and Dough Cake - 'hough' being another name for shin of beef.
- Mix the meat and onion together. Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the meat mixture until brown, then stir in the carrots, parsley and flour.
- Gradually add the stock and cook, stirring, until the mixture is thick and boiling. Season to taste.
- Grease a 2 pint pudding basin. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and cut a circle that will fit the bottom of the basin. Place a layer of meat ove this, then add another circle of pastry, continuing to fill the basin with alternate layers, finishing with a circle of pastry.
- Cover the pudding with greaseproof paper and kitchen foil and seal. Put in a large pot and fill pot with hot water to come up half way up the sides. Put the cover on the pot and steam the pudding for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, topping up the water when necessary.
- Serve direct from the basin with boiled potatoes and a green vegetable.