Got this years ago from my mom, and have been making them every year since then--in fact my children would consider it a serious breach of Christmas spirit if we did NOT have these on the cookie tray when we open presents on Christmas Eve! Cooking time is CHILLING time (before dipping & after).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Inside The Chocolate
- 2 cups crushed graham cracker crumbs
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 cups creamy peanut butter (see note in Step #2)
- 1/4 cup melted butter
Keep Clean Up Easy
- wax paper
- baking sheet
- 1In a large mixing bowl, mix crumbs, sugar, peanut butter and melted butter.
- 2Test its "hold-together-ness" by compressing a handful in your hand; if it doesn't hold together easily, then add some more peanut butter and mix again.
- 3Form into small balls using your hands; place close together on a large cookie sheet.
- 4Chill the balls for at least an hour (I put mine in a cabinet in the back porch overnight -- it's like a freezer out there in December!).
- 5Make the dipping chocolate: melt chips & shortening in small mixing bowl in microwave (only 2 or 3 minutes), stirring until smooth. Add an extra tablespoon of shortening if the chocolate is thick-ish -- you want it to be drippy.
- 6Spread waxed paper on the counter or table, with a cookie sheet beneath.
- 7Using a fork under the ball, dip into the chocolate; scrape fork off against side of the bowl; set the ball on the waxed paper.
- 8Repeat until all balls are dipped.
- 9NOTE: You may have to zap the chocolate in the microwave if you don't work quickly to get it all drippy again.
- 10DO NOT ADD WATER thinking it will make the chocolate more liquid-y!
- 11Chill the balls again until chocolate is set.
- 12Store in lidded container with waxed paper between layers of balls.
- 13OR store in small candy paper cups (like the real candy-makers use).
Browse Our Top Candy Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Candy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Farmhouse Peanut Butter - Chocolate Balls (No Cook!)
Serving Size: 1 (22 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 60
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 113.4
- Calories from Fat 65
- Total Fat 7.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 2.0 mg
- Sodium 62.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 8.6 g
- Protein 2.5 g