1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Snowflakes drifting by the frosty windows, but inside we're listening to Christmas carols and decorating cut-out cookies. Dad comes and stomps the snow from his boots. Christmas Saturday, and we're ready for a piece of this special fudgy cake to load up our plates, with a glass of icy milk alongside. COOKING TIME includes chilling the cake. Thanks to Gooseberry Patch for another excellent recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup butter
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk (or buttermilk)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 1Preheat oven to 350; grease three 8- or 9-inch ROUND cake pans; line with wax paper; set aside.
- 2CAKE --
- 3Cook butter, cocoa, water in a saucepan over low heat; stirring constantly, until butter melts and it's all smooth; remove from heat; cool.
- 4In a mixing bowl, combine milk, eggs, baking soda and vanilla at medium speed until smooth.
- 5Add butter mixture to milk mixture, blending to smooth.
- 6In another bowl, combine sugar, flour and salt; gradually add to milk-butter mixture, blending until smooth--batter will be THIN (good, 'cause when we eat this -- we won't!) heeheh!
- 7Pour batter into prepared pans; bake for 22-24 minutes (set).
- 8Cool cakes on wire racks for 10 minutes; remove from pans, cool layers completely.
- 9GANACHE --
- 10Microwave chips and cream in a glass bowl 2-3 minutes until melted.
- 11Whisk until smooth; gradually add butter, continuing to whisk away the lumps.
- 12Cool--whisking every 15-20 minutes--until of spreading consistency.
- 13Makes about 2 cups.
- 14FROSTING --
- 15Bring butter, brown sugar and whipping cream to a boil over medium heat, stirring often, boil ONE MINUTE; remove from heat.
- 16Whisk in powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth; add toasted pecans, stirring gently for 2-5 minutes until frosting begins to cool (no snitchin' in the kitchen!), and thickens slightly.
- 17Immediately---pour over cake.
- 18Makes nearly 2 cups.
- 19FINISH THE CAKE --
- 20Spread about 1/2-cup ganach between cake layers; spread remainder on sides of cake ONLY (NOT THE TOP!).
- 21Chill cake for 1/2 hour.
- 22Pour Praline Frosting SLOWING over the top, spreading to the edges, allowing some to dribble over the sides.
- 23Freeze if desired--thaw at room temp 4-6 hours.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Farmhouse Holidays Double Chocolate Praline-Fudge Cake
Serving Size: 1 (151 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 783.6
- Calories from Fat 400
- Total Fat 44.5 g
- Saturated Fat 23.8 g
- Cholesterol 115.7 mg
- Sodium 398.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 97.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 76.6 g
- Protein 6.4 g