1 hr 15 mins
These little babies lend themselves to all kinds of creative cooking possibilities for snacks, appetizers, or lunch-time fare. Roll the dough thick for heftier lunches or cut into longer sticks to be dipped into soup. Use cookie cutters for a seasonal flair! Thanks to Karen Solomon's *Jam It, Pickle It, Cure It* (c2009) for the original recipe. COOKING TIME listed is for chilling prior to rolling out.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large bowl, mix flour and next four ingredients; set aside.
- 2In separate bowl, beat egg and oil, then stir into dry ingredients just until it forms a COARSE meal.
- 3Add the water as needed--1 tablespoon at a time--until dough comes together and can be formed into a ball.
- 4On lightly floured table, cut dough-ball in half (set one aside).
- 5Shape dough into a 12x12 square (use your hands), wrap with plastic; chill for 30 minutes; repeat with other dough-ball.
- 6Preheat oven to 375; lightly oil TWO baking sheets, then dust with flour.
- 7Roll out one dough square (retain it's shape as best you can), to a thickness of 1/8 to 1/4-inch thick throughout.
- 8THINNER will be crispier, more delicate.
- 9THICKER will be heartier, hold up to heavier toppings or dippings.
- 10Lightly prick every half-inch or so--all over--then sprinkle with additional salt, pepper or other flavorings (see variations below), then roll once or twice more--very lightly to press toppings into the dough.
- 11Cut the dough into desired shapes --
- 12-- One-inch squares for tiny snack crackers.
- 13-- Two x three for appetizer crackers.
- 14-- skinny "straws" for breadsticks.
- 15-- Six equal pieces for "flatbread" crackers.
- 16-- Cookie cutters for round, stylish, uniform shapes.
- 17Transfer to prepared baking pans; bake for 8 - 20 minutes (thickness depends).until uniformly browned.
- 18Check crackers after 8 minutes; ones along the edge may be ready sooner.
- 19Cool completely, store in an airtight tin.
- 20These will also freeze nicely; defrost at room temp for 2 hours.
- 22Cheese Crackers -- add 3°C shredded cheese (Cheddar, Asiago, Parmesan or any combination), along with 1/4°C ground almonds, 1 tsp dry mustard after mixing the wet with the dry ingredients.
- 23Rosemary & Olive Oil Crackers -- Replace canola with olive oil, add 1 tsp rosemary after adding water.
- 24Sesame, Poppyseed, & Onion Crackers -- Saute 1°C onion, 1 tsp salt in 1 T veg oil over med-hi heat until very brown; cool slightly, add BEFORE water. Before cutting, top the dough with 2 T. EACH poppy and sesame seeds, along with the salt.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Farmhouse-Fresh Homemade Crackers
Serving Size: 1 (448 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 34.2
- Calories from Fat 14
- Total Fat 1.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 3.8 mg
- Sodium 45.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 0.6 g