Prep 1 hr
Cook 36 mins
In '300 Sensational Soups' by Carla Snyder and Meredith Deeds
Make and share this Farmhouse-Fresh Chicken Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 leeks, thinly sliced (white and light green parts only)
- 2 summer squash or 2 zucchini, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 6 cups chicken stock or 6 cups vegetable stock
- 10 small new potatoes, quartered
- 10 asparagus spears, trimmed and sliced
- 2 cups chopped Baby Spinach
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh Italian parsley
- In a big soup pot, heat oil over med-high heat.
- Add onion and saute until softened, about 6 minutes.
- Add carrots, leeks, squash, garlic, celery, thyme, salt, and pepper to taste; saute until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add wine and cook until almost evaporated, about 5 minutes.
- Add stock and potatoes; bring to a boil.
- Cover, decrease heat to low and simmer gently until potatoes are almost tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add asparagus, spinach, peas, and chicken; simmer until vegetables are tender and chicken is no longer pink inside, about 5 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and cayenne; taste and adjust seasoning with salt and black pepper, if needed.
- Ladle into heated bowls and garnish with parsley.