Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
I haven't tried this yet, but I am planning to do so very soon. It makes my mouth water just by reading the recipe. This is from Jeni Wright's Creative Chicken.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 1⁄2 lbs whole chickens
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups apple cider or 2 cups dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 bouquet garni
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 lb baby carrots
- 3⁄4 lb baby new potato
- 2 leeks, thickly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole, add the chicken, and brown on all sides. Lift out and set aside.
- Sprinkle the flour into the pan and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes, then add the cider and stock and bring to a boil.
- Return the chicken to the pan and add the bouquet garni and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and cook in a preheated 325F oven for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add the vegetables, baste the chicken with the sauce.
- Cook for another 30-45 minutes, until the vegetables are tender and the juices of the chicken run clear.
- Let stand for 10 minutes, then taste the sauce for seasoning and sprinkle with the parsley.
- Serve hot.