Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Brought over for the Zaar World Tour from a British web site. This is on the menu for this week but wanted to get it posted so others could try it also.
- 2 (2 1/2 lb) chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 1 cup flour, seasoned with
- 1 teaspoon salt, and
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 12 tablespoons white pearl onions
- 12 small new potatoes, peeled
- 8 mushrooms, cut into quarters
- 6 slices bacon, fried until crisp and crumbled
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, dissolved in
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- Dredge chicken pieces in seasoned flour. Heat the butter and oil in a large skillet and fry the chicken until golden brown. Transfer the chicken to a casserole.
- Add onions and potatoes to the skillet and cook until lightly browned.
- Shake the skillet occasionally to prevent potatoes from sticking.
- Transfer onions and potatoes to the casserole.
- Add mushrooms to the skillet and cook over moderately high heat for 4 minutes.
- Place mushrooms in the casserole.
- Add crumbled bacon and chicken broth.
- Cover the casserole and place in a 350º oven for 50 minutes.
- Thicken juices with cornstarch dissolved in cold water.
- Garnish with parsley.
Great flavor, comfort food plus. Going into the rotation!
This is an excellant dish Laurie. Well worth the extra time and care. The flavour is out of this world. The chicken is so moist & tender that it falls apart. I didn't have any small potatoes, so I cut up 2 large new potatoes into 1 1/2" chunks. I also added the water & cornstarch into the chicken broth. Just cooking everything all at once. I cooked the casserole for 75 min Thank you so much for sharing Laurie. My dh has already asked when will we have this again.