This is so easy to make. It uses simple ingredients you normally have on hand.
Make and share this Farmhouse Bread recipe from Food.com.
- Dissolve yeast and 1 cup warm water in a large mixing bowl. Let rest 10-15 minutes.
- Add salt, sugar, shortening and 3 1/3 cups warm water.
- Gradually mix in 10 cups of flour. Add up to 2 more cups until dough is no longer sticky.
- Knead for 10 minutes. Cover the bowl and let rise for 1 hour until dough doubles in size.
- Punch down dough, form into 4 loaves, place into loaf pans and let rise again until double in size(about an hour).
- Place in preheated oven at 375 degrees and bake until golden brown (about 35 Minutes).
- This recipe also works well halfed.
- For whole wheat bread, substitute 4 cups of whole wheat flour mixed with 6 to 8 cups of white flour.
- I cool slice and freeze the extra laoves for later.
great recipe! I did half the recipe, the whole wheat version, and replaced the shortening with olive oil. I also just added a pinch of sugar rather than 1/8 c. I do think I would lower the salt next time as well. Just a personal preference, but I felt it is a bit salty. thanks for sharing!
Made the whole wheat version - it was really great bread.
This is the first yeast bread I have ever been successful with! If I can do it anyone can. Be sure to grease your loaf pan before baking. It is not written in the recipe but sure does help!