Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Pamper guests with a plateful of these (or other) home-baked goodies. Simple to make, nose-twitching scent, and on the table in no time. Serve with bacon or sausages, apricot honey-butter, and coffee or milk. Compliments to Reiman's *Best of Country Cooking 2003*
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup butter, cubed
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped dried apricot
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon quick-cooking oats
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- additional sugar, sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 400; seasoned baking stone or greased cookie sheet; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine dry ingredients; cut in butter.
- In a small bowl, combine eggs; reserve ONE TABLESPOON for glazing; set aside.
- In another bowl, combine sour cream, milk and eggs; add apricots; stir into crumb mixture until dough clings together.
- Turn onto lightly floured table, knead 12-15 times; divide down into two portions.
- Pat one portion into a 6-7 inch disk on the baking sheet.
- Combine filling ingredients, sprinkle over first disk in pan to within 1/2-inch of edge.
- Pat remaining down into matching disk, place over filling, softly pinch edges, but don't worry if they're not sealed.
- Glaze top with reserved 1 T. egg, sprinkle with additional sugar (brown or white); cut into wedges, leaving in place on pan.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes (golden brown).
- Cool slightly, break apart carefully; serve warm with honey and apricot jam.
- VARIATION: try dried cranberries for a tangy eye-opening breakfast treat!
This sounds fantastic but I'm querying the amount of baking powder - 2 1/2 cups!? Please correct...thanks...
I added one teaspoon of vanilla paste to the recipe and followed the rest to the letter. These scones were fantastic! Thanks for posting.
i wanted so bad to try this recipe this weekend....does it really call for 2 1/2 cups of baking powder? This sound like way too much but i didnt want to waste the time if this was a typo on the recipe......i will check back another time to see if it has been corrected.....