Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Got this recipe from a Family Circle cookbook called "Perfect Pastries". I love how simple this is. The original recipe uses 1/2 quantity of rough puff pastry (for which they have a separate recipe) - but I just used puff pastry squares and am posting the recipe here with that alteration.
- 3 small gala apples
- 6 square puff pastry shells
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons apricot jam
- 3 tablespoons caster sugar
- 50 g butter
- 3 tablespoons apricot jam, extra
- Lightly grease a large oven tray.
- Cut apples in half from stem, core - but leave unpeeled.
- Slice as thinly as you can, retaining the shape.
- Place puff pastry squares well spaced-out on tray.
- Spread each pastry with a tsp of apricot jam, leaving a border.
- Divide apple slices evenly and arrange along each pastry piece, leaving border.
- Sprinkle the apples with sugar and dot with a small cube of butter.
- Use the blunt side of a knife to make indentations along edges of pastry - this helps the pastry to rise and flake.
- Chill for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 415°F and bake pastries for 20 minutes or till puffed and golden.
- While hot, brush with warmed, sieved jam to glaze.
- Serve warm or cold.