Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
Posted for a recipe request. Recipe may be doubled; increase cooking time by 10-15 minutes
- 2 lbs green tomatoes, cored and chopped
- 1 lb white onions or 1 lb yellow onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 lb sweet red pepper, cored and chopped
- 1⁄2 lb tart cooking apple, such as 'Granny Smith', cored and chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt or 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 4 jalapeno peppers, cored, seeded if desired, and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
- Combine the tomatoes, onions, peppers, apples, garlic, vinegar, and salt in a large,nonreactive saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about an hour.
- Stir in the jalapenos, cilantro, and cumin and simmer for 5 more minutes. Carefully puree the mixture using a stick blender or in a traditional countertop blender (in batches if necessary) until still somewhat chunky.
- If canning, return the pureed relish to a boil, then ladle the hot mixture into hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch head space. Process 15 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Store in a cool, dark place.