Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Easy, tasty, hearty chicken recipe. When time is short and appetites big, the Muddfield Gang chows down to Farmgirl's Funky chicken!
- 4 lbs chicken
- 1 (12 ounce) jarpepper relish (i use trader joes)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 lemon
- preheat oven to 450.
- wash and dry chicken.
- rub inside and out of chicken with salt, pepper and oil.
- rub inside and out of chicken with pepper relish.
- cut lemon in half and place in cavity.
- separate skin from chicken by gently pulling apart and rub relish in between the layers.
- replace skin to seal in juices.
- roast chicken on rack at 450 for 1 hour 20 mins, uncovered.
- Remove chicken and let sit, uncovered, for at least 30 mins.
- carve and serve.
Yummy, this tasted just perfect! Love the technique, and the use of pepper relish is a great addition to roasting chicken. I had made this recipe for pepper relish a while ago, so used this instead of Trader Joe's (they have discontinued the product) http://www.food.com/recipe/hot-jalapeno-pepper-relish-30819, but followed this exactly, and let me tell you, there is tons of flavor, and the chicken comes out as juicy as a watermelon in the summertime. Will use often and will even get "funky" once in a while! Made for my PAC baby 2011