Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I make Strata often as a way to use up day old or stale bread (its hard for 2 people to finish a loaf of bread!)I've come up with a lot of variations but this one is my favorite. this can definitely be made ahead to serve for brunch or keep in the fridge ready to pop in the oven after Church.
- 1 lb sliced bacon (cut into 1/2-inch cubes)
- 2 cups cooked ham (chopped)
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 10 slices white bread, cubed
- 1 cup cooked potato (cubed)
- 3 cups cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 8 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- In a skillet, cook bacon until crisp; add ham and onion. Cook and stir until onion is tender; drain. In a greased 13x9x2" baking dish, layer half the bread cubes, potatoes and cheese. Top with all of the bacon mixture. Repeat layers of bread, potatoes and cheese. In a bowl, beat the eggs; add milk, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, salt and pepper. Pour over all. Cover and chill overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered at 325 degrees for 60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the middle comes out clean.
I originally saw and clipped this recipe from Taste of Home magazine (1997). Ten plus years later, I got around to making it. What was I waiting for? This is a great strata, and real potatoes add so much more to the dish than those frozen kind. This tastes good, easily halves and is fool-proof. Just the kind of recipe everyone needs when overnight company's coming. Thanks, Little Bee, for posting.
A real winner ! Prepared for friends stopping for lunch on their way north for the holidays -- all LOVED it, and took the recipe ! The only adjustment I made, was to get 2 thick slices (1 pound total) of deli ham, which I cubed. Served with a salad of greens, mandarin oranges, finely chopped red onion, and raspberries with raspberry viniagrette dressing. This will be a go-to for guests. Thanks for posting Little Bee
I made this for Mother's Day and everyone loved it. I used whole grain bread and added finely chopped sun dried tomatoes. This is a great springboard recipe. Maybe next time I'll add broccoli or spinach.