Recipe by Sharon123
Originally called the Ploughman's Sandwich, I have changed this to a vegetarian sandwich by leaving out 5 oz. corned beef. Feel free to add it if you want to! The original recipe also called for Irish cheddar cheese to be soaked in Guinness beer for 2 hours. Hmmm. This is supposed to be one serving! I'm calling it two servings! Adapted from the Haas Avocado Board.
- 3 slices rustic crusty bread (I like to toast mine first)
- 2 ounces honey mustard (2 parts whole grain mustard mixed with 1 part honey)
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium sized Hass avocado, sliced
- 4 slices thick cheddar cheese or 4 slices swiss cheese
- 1 large portabella mushroom, roasted and sliced
- 1 medium tomatoes, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Spread honey mustard on three slices of bread. Sprinkle the bread with red onion. On one slice of bread, layer the avocado and cheese. If using corned beef, add it now.
- On another slice of bread, layer the mushroom, tomato and cheese.
- Bake both slices in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for two minutes.
- Put the two pieces together with the third slice of bread between them.
- This is a very thick sandwich and may need a skewer or long pick to hold it together. I make 2 sandwiches out of it, leaving out the center slice of bread!