1/2 Photos of Farmer's Quiche
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 25 mins
Sue Lau's Note:
A great quiche with an unusual but healthy crust that doesn't dominate the flavor, but enhances the flavor of the cheese.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Crust
- 1 cup long grain brown rice (uncooked)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
For the Filling
- 1Place rice in a saucepan along with 1 tablespoon butter, 2 cups water, and 1 teaspoon salt.
- 2Bring mixture to a boil, then cover pan, lower heat, and simmer for 40 minutes (do not lift lid during this time) or until rice is tender.
- 3Allow rice to sit off heat, covered, for 5-10 minutes more.
- 4Take 2 cups of the cooked rice and place in a mixing bowl along with 1 egg and 1/4 cup melted butter, mixing well (may use leftover rice for another use).
- 5Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 6Take mixed rice and press evenly in the bottom and sides of a 9-inch glass pie pan.
- 7Blind bake rice crust for 15 minutes at 350F and then remove from oven until filling (the rice should feel a little dry and not excessively tacky).
- 8In a small mixing bowl, blend together lightly 3 eggs, the buttermilk, heavy cream, chopped sage, salt, and pepper.
- 9Place crumbled bacon in the bottom of the rice crust.
- 10Top bacon with chopped zucchini, and then the peas, making sure filling is spread evenly.
- 11Pour egg mixture over the top of the vegetables and bacon.
- 12Sprinkle with grated cheese.
- 13Dot with little pieces of butter.
- 14Bake at 350F for 30-35 minutes or until top is domed, golden brown, and a thin knife can be removed cleanly from the center of the quiche.
- 15Allow to stand 30 minutes before slicing and serving.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Farmer's Quiche
Serving Size: 1 (237 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 894.8
- Calories from Fat 623
- Total Fat 69.2 g
- Saturated Fat 33.4 g
- Cholesterol 367.5 mg
- Sodium 1586.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 27.1 g