Recipe by CookOnSunday
I love lentils! After making some lentil meatloaf (http://www.food.com/recipe/really-good-vegetarian-meatloaf-really-33921) and lentil and rice tacos (http://www.food.com/recipe/easy-inexpensive-lentil-tacos-304604) I wanted to expand my use of lentils to my all-time favorite dish: Shepherd's Pie! This recipe is vegetarian, wheat free and very versatile. It was a hit with my guests tonight and my carnivorous young boys had seconds. My only regret is that they ate it all!
- 3⁄4 cup dried brown lentils
- 3⁄4 cup rice (white or brown)
- 4 cups water
- 4 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 6 medium yukon gold potatoes (peeled and quartered)
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon rosemary (fresh or dry)
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 small yellow squash, chopped (optional)
- 1 cup frozen peas (fresh if you have them!)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Put lentils, rice, 4 cups of water and bouillon together in a medium pot over high heat.
- Bring to a boil, then turn down heat to simmer. Stir occasionally, cover and cook until rice and lentils are soft, about 20 minutes. Stir in rosemary and thyme and set aside.
- While lentils cook: Boil potatoes in another pot of water until tender when pierced with a fork. Drain and return to pot over low heat.
- Add butter, salt and milk and use a potato masher to smash potatoes to your desired smoothness.
- In a medium pan heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions, carrots and squash (or other vegetables you like). Cook until onions are tender.
- Cover the bottom of an 8x8 glass baking dish with all of the the lentil and rice mixture. Next add a layer using all of the vegetables, add the frozen peas on top. Last carefully cover the layers with mashed potatoes, a spoonful at a time using a rubber spatula.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and place in the center of the oven.
- Bake for 25 minutes covered, then remove foil and bake for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve hot.