Recipe by The Finicky Chef
Great recipe from Sept 2003 issue of Southern Living. Have made it several times for Sunday school breakfasts and it has always been a hit. I especially appeciate the use of fresh herbs and tomatoes, and the presentation in the cast iron skillet.
- 12 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 small plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 8 ounces shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil
- fresh basil (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat together eggs, sour cream, thyme, salt, pepper, and baking powder with electric mixer at medium speed 2-3 minutes or until well blended.
- Melt butter in a 12-inch oven-proof (cast iron) skillet; add egg mixture.
- Bake at 350F for 15 minutes; remove from over and sprinkle with chopped tomato, shredded cheese, and fresh basil.
- Return to oven and bake 15-20 minutes longer or until set. Garnish with fresh basil, if desired.