Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Great recipe from Sept 2003 issue of Southern Living. Have made it several times for Sunday school breakfasts and it has always been a hit. I especially appeciate the use of fresh herbs and tomatoes, and the presentation in the cast iron skillet.
- 12 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 small plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 8 ounces shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil
- fresh basil (to garnish)
- Beat together eggs, sour cream, thyme, salt, pepper, and baking powder with electric mixer at medium speed 2-3 minutes or until well blended.
- Melt butter in a 12-inch oven-proof (cast iron) skillet; add egg mixture.
- Bake at 350F for 15 minutes; remove from over and sprinkle with chopped tomato, shredded cheese, and fresh basil.
- Return to oven and bake 15-20 minutes longer or until set. Garnish with fresh basil, if desired.